Garlic Bread Stuffed Rangitikei Chicken
- 1 size 18 Chicken
- 1/2 of a 400g loaf of ciabatta
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 80g salted butter, cut into small dice
- 1 tablespoon Hot English Mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- extra salt and milled black pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 a large pumpkin peeled
- 130g bag baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1 fresh red chilli
Preheat oven to 180°C. Cut the bread including its crusts into large 3cm chunks and place in a large mixing bowl. Slice the garlic into round thin slices across the width and add to the bread. Toss the bread and garlic with the butter, mustard, thyme and salt.
Stuff the chicken packing the bread tightly into the cavity. Season the chicken skin well with extra salt and pepper. Tuck under the wings and place on a greased oven tray. Roast in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
While the chicken is roasting, dice the pumpkin into 3cm chunks. Place into a deep-sided baking tray then toss with the cooking oil, sweet chilli sauce and red chilli. Bake tossing occasionally for 40 minutes until soft when pierced.
Toss spinach leaves with the hot pumpkin and serve on the side of the carved chicken. You can also roast the chicken and vegetables ahead of time then serve arranged as a summer salad for Christmas lunch.